Beginning 05 October 2018 – per article 14 of Legislative Decree of 4 October 2018, n. 113 – the processing time for applications for Italian citizenship by marriage is 48 (forty eight) months from the day that the application is accepted. This processing time also applies to any applications in progress that were accepted prior to that date.
CITIZENSHIP BY MARRIAGE TO AN ITALIAN CITIZEN (Law n. 91 February 5th 1992), AND
CITIZENSHIP BY CIVIL UNION TO AN ITALIAN CITIZEN
The foreign spouse of an Italian citizen may apply for Italian citizenship to the Prefettura after being married for 2 years, if the couple resides in Italy, and to the Italian Consulate or Embassy after being married for 3 years if the couple resides abroad.
The above periods are reduced by half if the spouses have biological and/or adopted children who are minors (under 18 years old).
Two basic requirements to be met prior to submitting the application are:
- the marriage must have already been registered at the Town Hall in Italy;
- the Italian spouse must be registered at the Consulate or Embassy as an Italian Citizen Residing Abroad (A.I.R.E.).
DOCUMENTATION TO SUBMIT
The following items 1-6 must be uploaded ONLINE. Once your online application is accepted, you will be contacted by the citizenship department of this Consulate General in order to submit original hard copies of ALL the following documentation.
1. ITALIAN LANGUAGE CERTIFICATION – obtain this document BEFORE you obtain any other documentation indicated below. The certification may be demonstrated in ONE of the following ways:
- A DEGREE issued by a public instructional institution or equivalent in Italy or abroad, recognized by the Ministero dell’Istruzione dell’Università e della Ricerca, and by the Ministero degli Affari Esteri e della Cooperazione Internazionale, OR,
- A CERTIFICATE OF KNOWLEDGE OF ITALIAN LANGUAGE AT LEVEL B1 (or higher), issued by one of the following institutions:
o Universita’ per stranieri di Siena
o Universita’ per stranieri di Perugia
o Universita’ Roma Tre
o Società Dante Alighieri
In Stockholm it is possible to take the B1 exam at the Italian Cultural Institute (Istituto Italiano di Cultura). For further information please visit the webpage of the Italian Cultural Istitute: Istituto Di Cultura – Stoccolma (esteri.it).
2. ESTRATTO PER RIASSUNTO DAI REGISTRI DI MATRIMONIO issued by the Comune in Italy where the marriage was registered (only an original certificate will be accepted, not a copy).
3. ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE
- Applicants born in Sweden must submit the Personbevis and its translation into Italian.
- Applicants born in countries OUTSIDE the Sweden must comply with the local regulations on the legalization of documents. The certificate must be translated into Italian and certified by the Italian Consulate/Embassy in the Country where the document was issued. For further information, visit Italian consular network.
4. CRIMINAL RECORDS/BACKGROUND CHECK/CERTIFICATE OF GOOD CONDUCT issued by the Nation of origin AND every previous residency starting from the age of 14.
VERY IMPORTANT: Criminal Records/Certificates of Good Conduct/Background Check are only valid for 6 MONTHS. Please ensure that these documents are STILL VALID when the citizenship application is submitted online.
- Those who have resided in Sweden must provide a certificate of good conduct/criminal records/background check issued by the Swedish Police;
- Those who have resided OUTSIDE of Sweden must also provide a certificate of good conduct/criminal records/background check issued by the local authorities of each country where they have resided. Please contact the Italian Consular Authority for that area to verify how to request those certificates of good conduct and in which format those certificates should be.
5. RECEIPT OF PAYMENT of € 250 fee – As required by art. 14 D.L. 113 of October 4th 2018 there is a fee of € 250 to be paid by all applicants. The fee of € 250 must be paid through international bank transfer, following these guidelines:
- BENEFICIARY: CONTO CORRENTE POSTALE “MINISTERO DELL’INTERNO
- D.L.C.I. – CITTADINANZA” Piazzale del Viminale, 00184 – ROMA (ITALIA)
- IBAN CODE : IT54D0760103200000000809020
- SWIFT CODE: BPPIITRRXXX
- Eurogiro: PIBPITRA
- REFERENCE: NAME & LAST NAME “ISTANZA DI CITTADINANZA PER MATRIMONIO”
6. VALID PASSPORT and DRIVER’S LICENSE (plus 1 copy of each when submitting hard copies)
7. STATEMENT OF NO DIVORCE/SEPARATION along with the copy of the Italian passport
8. PROOF OF RESIDENCY in this Consular Jurisdiction (click here to verify if you live in this jurisdiction): (utility bill)
- PLEASE NOTE: Applicants who are NOT citizens of Sweden must also provide a copy of their valid Swedish Permanent Resident Card
9. PRINTED COPY OF APPLICATION FORM (domanda online prepared following registration on the webpage of the Ministry of the Interior – see point 1 below under How to Submit Documentation) to be signed in front of Consular officer
HOW TO SUBMIT THE DOCUMENTATION
Applicants interested in Italian citizenship through marriage will have to submit their application directly online (as listed below). Following the submission of the documentation, the applicant will be contacted for the deposit of the original documents and payment of the other fees.
1. Register on the following webpage of the Ministry of Interior Affairs: Portale Servizi – Ali Cittadinanza (interno.it)
2. After the login, the applicant will find a “CITIZENSHIP” section containing the following subtitles:
- gestione della domanda
- visualizza stato della domanda
- primo accesso alla domanda comunicazioni
(“visualizza stato della domanda” and “primo accesso alla domanda” allow the applicant to check the status of his/her request)
By choosing “gestione della domanda” the applicant will have the possibility to submit his/her application by completing the form: MODELLO AE.
3. The applicant must complete the form in its entirety and upload the requested documentation listed on this Embassy’s website:
a. Estratto di matrimonio issued by the Municipality in Italy
b. Italian Language Certification
c. Birth certificate with Apostille and Italian translation
d. Background checks with corresponding Apostilles and translations
e. Receipt of payment of the 250 Euro fee
f. Valid identification (passport)
The applicant may save, modify, cancel or submit the completed application. After reviewing the submitted application the Consulate may:
- accept the request
- request additional documentation, or request that documents be amended
- reject the application
Applications and all required documentation must first be submitted online. Per article 14 of the legislative decree of 04 October 2018, n. 113, processing time will be 48 MONTHS from the date the Embassy accepts the applicant’s complete online application.
Once the online application is accepted, the applicant will be contacted so that they may submit all original documents and necessary payments to this Embassy.