This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Motor Vehicles and Driving Licences

The Consulate of the Italian Embassy in Stockholm neither issues nor renews driving licenses.

  • Citizens who are temporarily in an EU Member State may drive using their Italian driving license. Indeed, in accordance with EU Directive No. 91/439/EEC of July 29, 1991, Member States recognize driving licenses issued by their respective authorities.
  • Citizens who reside in an EU country and have an Italian driving license can:

– convert the Italian driving license into an equivalent one from their country of residence (note: this is an option, it is not mandatory);

– keep the original driving license without doing anything.

However, if citizens decide not to convert the Italian driving license into a local one, complications or delays may arise when a duplicate is needed because the original was lost, stolen, or destroyed. This is due to the fact that information from the State that first issued the license must be requested.

To renew the driving license citizens should contact the competent authorities only: if they are resident in Sweden and have converted their license, they will have to contact the Swedish Transport Agency.
If they have an Italian driving license, they will need to contact the Motorizzazione Civile in Italy.

Visit the website of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport for more information.